Buttermilk Biscuits recipe
2 cups of self-rising flour
½ tablespoon sugar
¼ cup of shortening
1 tablespoon butter
¾ cup of buttermilk
1. In a large bowl, combine the first 4 ingredients, cutting in the shortening and butter until the mixture is coarse and crumbles. Add buttermilk and stir together.
2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Flour your hands and knead gently about 4-5 times, add small amounts of flour as needed until you have smooth soft dough. Do not overwork dough.
3. Pat dough to a ½ in to ¾ in thickness. Use a round cookie cutter or the top of a glass dipped in flour to cut biscuits.
4. Placed biscuits about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet or greased pan.
5. Preheat oven to 375 and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
6. Serve with a li’l Sump’n Southern Original Tomato Gravy